Friday 10 May 2013

The Solution for More and More People is...

Losing your job can never be a nice experience, and for many people it's a major blow to their confidence and self esteem.

If you've been hit by redundancy, 'downsizing' or 'rationalisation', or you've been 'let go', you won't need me to tell you how much it hurts.

But every change in circumstances is an opportunity to start afresh. Not having a job means that what you do next is up to you. And more and more people are choosing to take the opportunity to do something entirely new. For increasing numbers of people, that means striking out on their own.

Can you do the same? Is there something you enjoy, are good at (or can learn to be good at), and that people will pay for?

Maybe that's your business, right there. And maybe you should at least give it a go.

Roy

PS. That's how I started Flatpack Assembly Suffolk. Not that I have a real passion for flat-pack furniture, but I knew I could do it, I sensed there was a demand, and I gave it a go in my spare time. It worked - and almost two years later, the business is still running and making money. It's also up for sale, but only because I'm leaving the area.

No comments: